The Grand Hotel opened in downtown Charlotte Amalie in 1841.
It was once one of the premier hotels on the island, and played host to many lavish parties due to its prime location and stylish interior. It remained a popular place for vacationers to stay until it closed in 1975. In 2000, the building reopened as the Grand Galleria and is now home to a variety of shops and restaurants, including locals’ favorite Jen’s Island Cafe and Deli, which serves up Virgin Islands delicacies. Also located in the Grand Galleria is the Virgin Islands Children’s Museum. The Lockhart family–one of the longest-living families in St. Thomas–owns the Grand Galleria.