The Frederick Lutheran Church was established in 1666, the same year Erik Smidt took formal possession of St. Thomas in the name of the Danish West India Company.
The present building was rebuilt in 1826 and later renovated in 1870. The church is just a short walk from Main Street and Post Office Square. To this day, it still holds regular church services and is one of the most recognizable structures in St. Thomas. It is also the oldest church structure on the island.