Another one of St. Thomas’s National Historic Landmarks, Fort Christian was completed by Danish settlers in 1680–making it the oldest structure in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
It was built originally to protect the colony and island from hostile marauders. Since its completion, it has served a variety of purposes: a jail, a governor’s residence, a place of worship, and a police station. The building acted as a museum for many years, but it is currently under renovation. It will eventually be reopened to the public. While it is closed for the time being, Fort Christian is still a popular site for visitors. Its red walls and imposing clock tower make the building perfect for photos.