This National Historic Landmark –one of only three in St. Thomas and five in the U.S. Virgin Islands as a whole — is the second oldest synagogue in the western hemisphere.
The original synagogue was built by Sephardic Jews in 1803. After a number of fires over the years, the current building was rebuilt in 1833 and eventually restored in 2000. Home of the Hebrew Congregation of St. Thomas, the synagogue holds weekly services and also acts as a museum to visitors and locals. It is well-known for its sand floors, mahogany pews that face each other, Ark with stone tablets, and Baccarat crystal candelabra. The synagogue is also within short walking distance from the various attractions, historic sites, and shops of downtown Charlotte Amalie.